SQL Search is a free tool which helps to:
- Find fragments of SQL text within stored procedures, functions, views and more
- Quickly navigate to objects wherever they happen to be on your servers
- Find all references to an object
- Integrates with SSMS
I installed it on my machine a few days later and have had it happily running ever since, with no errors and no noticeable slowing of Management studio. I've come to use it quite a bit in my development process, mostly for looking for stored procedures as I find the process of
- type in a bit of a name of the procedure in the search box
- hit return
- look at the results returned
- click on the one that I want
- if necessary, click on the "Select object in Object Explorer" link
to be a lot quicker than typing
SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES WHERE ROUTINE_NAME LIKE '%bit of a name of the procedure%'
and then navigating through the object explorer to find the relevant object.
The scope of the search can be narrowed to a specific object type on a specific database, or left open to every object type on every database on the instance.In summary, a good tool, especially at the price-point (free!) - go and download it now...