After finishing weaving project 19 I decided that the next project should feature the beautiful silk I bought at The Handweavers studio in June. It is marked as 3/1nm tussah silk. It feels beautiful on the roll. So soft and, erm, silky. Lovely.
I ransacked my supplies to see what I had I could use as a warp, and found a small quantity of white embroidery silk left over from the first iPhone case I embroidered so thought I’d see if there was enough to make a bookmark (what else?) from. Because the silk was quite thick I went for single strands warp and managed to get 12 warp threads out of it.
This is the fastest weaving project I’ve done so far. It went from nothing to complete in under 2 hours, and that included choosing the warp, setting up the little loom and a gap for breakfast. It feels so much more chunky after the fine work of projects 18 and 19 and makes me appreciate 18 and 19 that bit more I think. The silk was relatively easy to work with, and, unlike the wool in project 19 is nice and sturdy. The fact that it isn’t a consistent thickness gives an interesting texture to the finished bookmark and makes it a bit uneven in places, but deliberately so.
I don’t currently think this is a combination I’d use again, as it just seems way too chunky, but I am wondering if I could use it, or something similar to it, against a much thicker warp in a larger scale somehow. Or a thinner version of the silk at a scale similar to projects 18 and 19. An interesting material and a worthwhile speedy experiment. It’s fascinating to me the impact that material choice can have on what is effectively the same design.
Disclaimer: post written in early November and held back until after Christmas. If the tenses don’t make sense, assume this is the reason :-)