A few friends of mine work for design agencies, the place in which they do their day to day work is called their studio.

Other people who do experiments and research tend to work out of a lab, I'm thinking user testing etc

Developers tend to work in an office.

To me, Studio implies creativity, lab implies research, innovation and experimentation, office implies BAU kind of activities.

A quick "define: x" on google returns the following definitions:


A room where an artist, photographer, sculptor, etc., works



A laboratory: "a science lab


A room, set of rooms, or building used as a place for commercial, professional, or bureaucratic work.

I believe that terminology is important. I know Shakespeare didn't necessarily agree

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

but, to me, a word gives an expectation. 

We have a room in the house we refer to as the office. I don't think I want it be called that any more. It needs a new name. It has two desks, and a few areas of storage space. And ususally a dog hanging around, all that may be more to do with her wanting to be where her humans are.

Richard sits at his and codes, runs his share of a business, takes and makes calls and creates new things. He, mostly, works from here.

I sit at my desk and process photography, write blog posts, research ideas. I, mostly, play from here.

We both do home admin - finances etc.

The room's purpose combines all three words - studio, lab and office. But the bureacracy is, mostly, the smaller bit so it shouldn't be an office.

So what should it be? Should it be a study? That doesn't feel right either. Any suggestions? 

Update: Lighthouse have just posted an article entitled This is a workshop, in which James Bridle says

a working shop, a place where work is being done

Maybe workshop is heading towards the right name?